What is Shacket ?? You might well ask. Well think of it as in between a Jacket and a Shirt.
It is the perfect thing to have in your wardrobe when the weather is that stage where it can’t make up its mind. It is basically the Perfect Spring layer.
Shackets are so versatile and a key item to have in your wardrobe for easy layering. This makes them a very hard working item , allowing you to mix and match and wear with lots of different outfits. Throw on a shacket over your jeans and Tee/ top and you are ready to go. They are also great teemed with dresses and skirts, don’t be afraid of a little print cash either!
There are 2 main types –
“Jacket like” shacket – These are usually in warm fabrics such as wool/ borg / polyester. The tend to be thicker and bigger in style, so great for going over a thicker layer like a jumper.
“Shirt like” shacket – or overshirts as they can be categorised as. These tend to be in a thinner material in like cotton, denim or corduroy. To be worn as an over layer over your t-shirt / top/ dress.
They are sometimes referred to as Utility shirts, these tend to be the versions in khaki with the large front pockets that give them their unique style.
My top buying tips-
- Before you buy try to decide what look you are going for and how you want to wear it
- It can be hard getting the right one online as we know we can’t try things on at the moment. I would advise ordering a few that you like and see which look suits you best
- Many are described as “over sized” in style, which means they will be come up big, as that’s the look to be worn baggy over your outfit. An oversized option is great for going over jumpers and hoody’s. You can always size up in a standard fit shacket to give it an over sized feel too.
- If you are more petite an oversized style may not be for you as it can look like you are drowning in fabric, I would either size down or go for a more fitted style.
- If you want one to wear over your leggings make sure its long enough to cover your bottom.
I consider shackets to be a maternity wardrobe essential, I always recommend buying one to my clients who are looking for maternity clothes for spring/ summer, as they are perfect for dressing the bump, looking stylish and being comfortable. If you have a relaxed or over sized fit you will get plenty of wear during and after pregnancy. Some websites such as ASOS actually do a few maternity shacket styles too.
Here is my edit of the best Shackets available online currently. ( all had stock on most sizes at the time this was published on my blog).
The perfect Shacket edit
A plain tonal colour shacket will of course get much more wear, as it will go with more items already in your wardrobe. My favourites are khaki or an oatmeal/ beige tone as I know it will go with everything going into spring.
This style is perfect if you want to give a more defined shape around your waist and if you aren’t a fan of the oversized styles.
Check styles are great for adding interest and a pop of colour to a otherwise basic outfit. You can instantly add pattern and colour to your plain jeans/ leggings and a top by layering on a check shacket.
Pre loved options –
Buying second hand from either EBay or another pre loved fashion website is a good idea when trying to shop more sustainably. Also great to check out if you are having trouble finding exactly what you want as your style or sizes is sold out.
For Example I have this exact Camo shacket from Topshop ( years old) and I love it and wear it every year so much, for this edit I searched online and I couldn’t find one that was as nice and there really was very little choice. So I checked eBay and this one came up.
Which is your favourite?
Thankyou for reading