T-shirts are the backbone of your wardrobe. A simple t-shirt and jeans combo is always a fail safe outfit and basically my uniform for most of the year, with or without a layer or two added.
My daily go to outfit in spring summer is jeans/ trousers and a Tee, then a layer on according to the weather and where I’m going.
A plain white t-shirt will be one of the hardest working items in your wardrobe as they go with everything and can be dressed up or down. Depending on how you wear them and what with a t shirt can be worn to look casual or smart, for day or for night.
My stylist top tips
- Look for good quality ( ideally sustainable ) cotton. You want them to wash well so they last. This doesn’t necessarily mean expensive.
- Note that Slub or linen t-shirts will be much thinner and can be slightly sheer in appearance so better if you are looking for a casual style.
- V Necks are universally flattering
- If you are not a lover of your upper arms look for slightly longer sleeve lengths.
- Before you buy consider what fit of tee you like, boxy, boyfriend , fitted or classic.
- Find your perfect white classic t shirt and buy a couple! I have about 5/6 plain white t shirts, all different, neck lines, cotton thickness and sleeve length all give them slightly different looks. I suggest buying a V neck and crew neck as an minimum.
- Elevate your look by adding some simple jewellery over your t-shirt. Layered necklaces are a really effective way to do this.
- Tuck it in! Even a half or a french tuck as it’s called looks so much better than leaving your t-shirt out. No matter what your size, don’t be afraid to tuck it in!
The perfect edit.
Here’s my edit of the best on the high street, just click on the image to take you to the website to shop. They are all 100% cotton.
The slub cotton makes the Hush tee’s a very causal summery style, quite thin so not one to go fit if you want more coverage.
Lovely long sleeve cotton tee, with pocket detail and ribbed cuffs so if you want to push up your arms a little they stay put. Perfect length for tucking in or leave out as sit right on the hips.
Little puff sleeves on this Boden Tee adds a little feminine touch.
Classic crew neck, what is good about this one is that it’s cut quite a true box fit so good for tucking into trousers/jeans / skirts etc
This crew neck is a slightly boxy in shape with cuff turn ups on the arms .
I hope I have helped you find your perfect t-shirt! Which is your favourite?
Thanks for reading